Get Started - Becoming Informed
Questioning the Facts
After this lesson, students will be able to:
• Challenge an author’s use of facts in a text
This lesson encourages students to question the authority of a text.
- How can facts be used to support opinions?
- How can I be a critical reader of facts in various sources?
Recommended Time:45 minutes
Common Core State Standards:
Print based resources
Computers with Internet access and/or print based resources
- Distribute and go over the Question the Facts handout.
- Using an article you select, and the question prompts from the handout, model creating a t-chart with Facts and Questions.
- Students continue their research, creating their own t-charts using articles from their own research.
- Students share what they discovered with the class.