Take Action - Making Films
Introduction to Pre-Production:
After this lesson, students will be able to:
- Collaborate to develop a plan for their film
Students are introduced to the work of pre-production as they develop ideas for their documentaries.
- What is pre-production and why is it important?
- What do we need to accomplish in this part of the film-making process?
Recommended Time:90 minutes
Common Core State Standards:
- Explain to students that pre-production if the planning stage of filmmaking that occurs before the cameras start filming. During this stage and throughout production, collaboration is key!
- Distribute and review the 4 Key Questions handout. The first responsibility of each group during documentary pre-production is answering 4 key questions:
1. What do you want people to know?
2. What do you want people to feel?
3. What do you want people to think?
4. What do you want people to do?
- Groups convene to start answering the four key questions about their films.