Take Action - Writing Persuasively
After this lesson, students will be able to:
- Edit their letters independently with specific focuses
- Edit letters with a partner with specific focuses
In this lesson, students work independently and with a partner to edit their letters for grammar and mechanics.
- How can reading my letter with a specific focus improve mechanics and grammar?
Recommended Time:45 – 90 minutes
Common Core State Standards:
Note: Editing lenses have been provided on the handout, but you should modify these lenses to fit your students’ skill level and editing concerns you see in their letters.
- Distribute and review the Letter Editing handout with students.
- Explain that while the work of editing is long and may seem tedious, it is as important as any other part of the writing process. Everyone wants their letter to stand out because it is powerfully written, not because of a missed spelling mistake!
- Instruct students that they will first edit their letters independently. They will then have a partner complete a second edit.
- Students are provided with 3-5 editing lenses for which they will read their letters. They should read their letters once for each focus.
- After editing is complete, students make changes to their final letters.